The assistant music director is responsible for planning and leading music at the Sunday 5:00pm liturgy. Music is largely contemporary, but also draws upon more traditional, sacred hymns. The director leads a choir of 5-10 singers and a band of 3-5 instrumentalists. Other opportunities for leading worship will also be available throughout the year (see “Worship Leading Opportunities” description below).
The ideal candidate for assistant music director will possess the following attributes:
- Practicing Catholic with experience planning music for liturgy.
- Ability to arrange music for a small group of singers and instrumentalists.
- Piano as a primary instrument (able to sing and/or lead group while playing is helpful).
- Some experience working with a soundboard/mixing console.
- Experience with music notation software such as Finale.
Job responsibilities for the assistant music director include:
- Preparing music each week appropriate for liturgy and to that Sunday’s readings.
- Correspondence with the pastor/music director/choir each week as music is prepared.
- Preparation with cantor, as needed.
- Set-up of audio equipment prior to rehearsal (and tear down following Mass).
- Rehearsal from 3:30-4:50 p.m. each Sunday in the church.
- Lead music for 5:00 p.m. Mass.
The assistant music director will work with the Director of Liturgy and the pastor while preparing music. The choir/band for the Sunday 5pm Mass at St. John meets to rehearse on Sundays prior to Mass at 3:30pm in the church. Time commitment, with set up and tear down, is generally 3:00—6:30pm on Sunday afternoons, and whatever time it takes to plan and arrange music for the group during the week.
Worship Leading Opportunities
Throughout the year, largely in cooperation with the High School and Middle School Youth ministries at St. John, the assistant music director may have opportunities to lead worship for various groups and events around the parish. In the past these have included:
- Reservoir Adoration, a monthly, hour-long Eucharistic Adoration and Benediction service in the church that utilizes periods of music and silence to facilitate prayer.
- Large group High School Youth nights, during which some gathering music and/or closing music might be provided.
- Middle School Youth nights, during which gathering music is played to unite students in song and set the tone for the evening.
- Other events as they arise, such as Prayer and Action, youth group trips, parish picnics, etc.
To apply, contact:
Fr. Jeff Ernst, pastor
St. John the Evangelist
1229 Vermont St.
Lawrence, KS 66044